Goetze® Products and Services
For decades, GOETZE® mechanical face seals have been utilized with outstanding success in transmissions, pumps, axles and drive mechanics. The special GOETZE® cast iron materials have provided extraordinary wear-resistant solutions for a variety of demanding applications, such as construction machinery, agricultural equipment, mining machinery, drive mechanics for tracked vehicles and other applications.
Continued technological advances in GOETZE® sealing solutions guarantee our customers long term durability, service-life and maximum productivity for their equipment.
Equipment operation in abrasive media such as dust, sand, mud, stones or dirt demands extreme wear resistance of the sealing system. High quality components like planet sets, wet brake disks, bearings, final drives and axle hubs need to be adequately protected against penetration of destructive media.
- Peripheral speeds of up to 10 m/sec must be handled.
- The seal faces must be continuously lubricated in order to prevent cold welding.
- Friction loss must be minimized.
- The adjustment forces within the sealing system must be tuned to the wear rate of contacting seal faces.
- The static and dynamic leak-tightness must be guaranteed.
- Friction energy created at the contact faces must be taken away with sufficient oil flow.
- Pressure difference must be balanced.
Mode of Operation
Cast iron seal rings are preloaded by defined formed elastomer parts. As a result, the axial load closes the gap between the seal faces, which leads to the sealing function. The relative movement in circumferential direction only takes place between the seal faces.
The resilience of the o-rings act in a number of ways:
- Exertion of axial load on the metallic sealing faces
- Transmission of the friction torque to the housing components
- Static sealing between each seal ring and its housing bore
The rings are designed in such a way that they open out from the seal faces towards the center axis, forming a cone-shaped gap which has the following benefits:
- The lubricant is readily admitted to the seal faces by capillary action and centrifugal force.
- Adequate lubrication and cooling are assured and potential cold welding of the seal faces is avoided.
- As wear increases, the sealing face continuously shifts towards the center axis. Therefore, the seal has considerable wear reserves which virtually only end when the inside diameter is reached.
Design Adapted to Operating Conditions
In order to ensure a safe function, the face seal must be configured according to the application or the operating conditions. Confirmation of this data is sought at the beginning of a customer request in order to be able to offer the appropriate face seal. To do this, we require submission of the relevant data sheet to our technical department. We use this data to create a custom offer for the optimal solution.
We strive to keep the product life cycle costs low for our customers in order to ensure maximum system efficiency. For this reason, it is our aim and in the interest of both parties to offer our customers an existing, tried-and-tested solution to save time and money. If a suitable solution does not yet exist, we ensure a fast and efficient implementation of the required design, which meets the individual requirements safely.